This is a guest-post in the form of a written interview with Imran Razeek – a male cupping therapist based in Colombo, Sri Lanka
– Please give us a short introduction about yourself, and in particular how you ended up being a hijama therapist?
My name is Imran Razeek, currently residing in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I am a lecturer in Chemistry, teaching Chemistry for London O/L & A/L Examinations. Myself & my wife got Hijama treatment from Dr. Noordeen Yousuf of Thailand on his visit to Sri Lanka. I was suffering with chronic migraine for 15 years & my wife was suffering from cervical spondylosis. Alhamdulilah with Allah’s permission, we got instant relief & gradual cure after Hijamah.
Since then we wanted to learn & awaken this great sunnah among the laymen.My wife & I learned the art of Hijama from Dr. Noordeen. We got training under the doctor for nearly one month & handled more than 300 patients during the training period Alhamdullilah.
Since then we have been practicing this great missing therapy among our friends, relatives & family. But now I conduct free Hijama sessions at our local masjid once/twice a week for the general public. And my wife conducts sessions at home.
– What particular illnesses/ conditions (if any), do you specialise / had the most experience in?
Alhamdullilah I have seen great improvements in my patients specially with joint pains, lower back pain, body pains, headaches, sinusitis, Gastritis, Varicose veins, cervical spondylosis etc.
I also have handled patients with paralysis, Neuro fibro metosis, Skin rashes, Diabetes, Cholesterol, Trigger finger, Hypertension, poor vision, Infertility, wheezing, Addiction, Haemorrhoid, Speech difficulty, poor memory, Heel pain, Lymphoedema, Laryngitis, Elephantitis, Mental Disorder, Poisoning due to animal bites, carpal tunnel syndrome.
– And do you find that in your experience, the conditions/illnesses that you have come across respond well to cupping (hijama) therapy? And if so, what are they?
Migraine, Joint pains, Back pain, sinusitis, Gastritis, Throat infection, Varicose veins, cervical spondylosis, Poisoning due to animal bites, carpal tunnel syndrome.
– Also what would you say about using cupping as a general preventative therapy (which by getting rid of bad blood/ toxins in the body may help prevent conditions like high cholesterol/ heart disease / cancer in the long term)? And how often would you recommend this (once a month? once/twice a year?)
As a general preventive therapy I recommend cupping to be done once a month/3 months on the sunnah days of 17th, 19th & 21st of the lunar month, as per the hadith: Abu Hurairah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, “Whoever performs cupping (hijama) on the 17th, 19th or 21st day (of the Islamic, lunar month) then it is a cure for every disease.” [Saheeh Sunan abi Dawud (3861)].
– As a hijama therapist, how often do you get hijama done yourself, and what for (if any specific condition) and who do you go to to get it done (since it is not an easy therapy to self-administer)?
Once a month on the 17th/19th/21st of the lunar month. My wife does it for me.
– As a non-Muslim country with a significant Muslim population, what is the overall prevalence of hijama therapy in Sri Lanka? Is it available in hospitals and clinics as a valid alternative / sunnah therapy?
Most of the people are unaware about Hijama. It is not available in hospitals. But some Muslim doctors do practice in their clinics but its not very common.
Whereabouts is your clinic or practice located in Colombo?
At the moment I do not have a clinic, I conduct sessions at my residence & at our masjid in Colombo.
Residence : 33/2B, Ambagahawatte Road, Off Temple Road, Kalubowila, Dehiwela, (opposite Kalubowila Teaching Hospital)
Masjid: 300, Hospital Road, Kalubowila, Dehiwela.
FEATURED HIJAMA THERAPIST:
E mail: email@example.com
Our thanks to Br Imran Razeek from Colombo, Sri Lanka for sharing the above post. If you have any questions for Br Imran or indeed have been treated by him and want to leave him a testimonial(!), then please do so via a comment* below.
If you are a hijama therapist or patient and are happy to share your knowledge or experience via a guest blog-post like the one above, please contact us.
– ICAHT Hijama Training
– Maryland Hijama Center
– Health Means Wealth
– Clinicare UK
– New Hijama Directory+
– Bilal Hijama Clinic
– British Cupping Society
– Hijama Nation
– Memon Institute of Hijama Therapy
– Aconite Medical Supplies
– The Optimum Cure & Care
– Book: Cupping Therapy Encyclopedia
– Shahclan Hijama Herbs
– Tibbe Nabawi
– The Therapy Clinic
– London Cupping Clinic
– Blackburn Cupping Clinic
– Gloucester Pain Relief Clinic
– Islamabad Hijama Health Clinic
– Ibn Sina institute of Tibb
– Darul Hijama
– Key To Cure
– Hijama Plus
– Dr Adeeb Consultant Clinic
– Al Hijama Centre Rawalpindi, Pakistan
– Hijama in Istanbul, Turkey
– AlHijama in Mauritius
– Heal Health Care Centre